Majority of the houses in the US have their own garage. Apart from providing a space where you can properly park your car, it also serves as a storage for some things that you occasionally need inside the house.
These things are still useful enough and are not quite ready for the attic yet. Since the garage is an extension of your home, it is necessary that you make sure that it is secured and guarded.
Garage doors’ design these days has improved a lot and they are now intended to provide not only security, but also convenience to the user. They have been made even more convenient with the addition of automatic garage door openers that can be operated from inside the car.
Therefore, you no longer have to get out of your car to close or open the garage door every time you’re leaving or coming home. Thanks to the garage door openers, this task has been made easier for you.
A garage door opener allows easy, quick, and hassle-free access to your garage. Aside from that, it adds security and safety that doesn’t come with the manually-operated garage doors. If you don’t have one yet and you’re looking into possibly getting a garage door opener or if you want to upgrade the one that you already have at home, it would be good to understand and know more about it.
Types of Garage Door Openers: How to Install Garage Door Opener
For someone who isn’t that exposed to mechanical stuff such as this, all garage door openers may look like the same. In reality, however, there are three different types of garage door openers and each design has its own advantages and disadvantages.
1. Chain Drive
This is the most common type of garage door opener. As the name suggests, you can tell that it is basically a chain that you use to move the garage door up and down. It works by pushing or pulling the trolley that guides the movement of the door.
Aside from being the most common, it’s also the most affordable. Chain drive openers are very reliable but they can be a bit noisy, especially when they do not get proper lubrication over time.
2. Belt Drive
This type of garage door opener uses a belt in place of a chain. It’s a bit more expensive than the chain drive but it’s more efficient and a lot quieter as well. It is mostly recommended for attached garages.
3. Screw Drive
It’s the most expensive type of garage door opener and for a reason. It’s more efficient and uses only a few components. This means that it won’t need as much maintenance as the other two garage door opener types.
Despite the fact that it is more convenient and a lot more practical to install a garage door opener, some people are still hesitant about putting one up because they don’t want to pay extra bucks for the item and its installation. The truth is that garage door openers can be installed without hiring a professional.
While it may sound like something too mechanical of a task for you to handle, setting up door openers is pretty quick and easy, especially if you have someone to assist you and you follow these instructions on how to install garage door opener:
1. Check the door parts and make sure they’re working. Look for broken springs so you can replace them before installing the opener. You also have to double check the balance on your door.
2. Set up the opener for the installation. You can use a ladder to position it properly. You can also use a heavy-duty angle iron for more steady and convenient mounting. The angle iron also reduces vibration which leads to a stronger installation.
3. Prepare the components. This includes the photoelectric eyes, wall button, wires, and the rest of the parts. If you’re working on a replacement, make sure that you do not reuse the old wiring because new opener models are quite sensitive.
4. Evaluate the door’s opening and closing force. You can check it by resting your foot on the door and opening it with the remote control.
5. Adjust the opening and closing force.
6. If the door is reversing, fix it.
That is it! If you have any more questions, post them in the comments below. Still open your garage manually? Check out our list of the top cheap garage door openers here!